Research Assistant, International Development
Sydney, New South Wales
Contract Vacancy Approximately 11 Months
ABC International seek a Research Assistant to support multiple studies across a range of development projects with a specific focus on work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Cambodia with support from the Research Manager, Research Officer and the program team.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Contribute to the design, implementation and reporting on specific research activities as required by the projects with support from Research Officer and/ or Research Manager.
- Contribute to day-to-day monitoring and evaluation operations for ABC International Development. Such activities include, but are not limited to, desk-based research, qualitative research and quantitative research including stakeholder interviews, content analysis, surveys, program databases, and training databases.
- Support various stages of research operations such as research design, methodology, quality control measures, data analysis and reporting.
- As required, train in-country researchers, either face-to-face or remotely, in research design, methodology and reporting.
- Work cooperatively with unit colleagues to contribute to a strong team environment in Australia and overseas.
- Contribute to and share ideas about monitoring, evaluation and research within the Unit.
- Actively seek to contribute to the Unit's objectives to assist the team to realise its overall strategies and goals actively promote the ABC values and apply all relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity & Diversity and Work Health & Safety.
1. Understanding and strong interest in media and communications for development.
2. Experience of managing qualitative research independently including organising face to face interviews, telephone interviews, data analysis and reporting.
3. In-depth understanding of survey design, implementation, analysis and reporting.
4. Exposure and use of research analysis software like Atlas.ti and SPSS/Stata desirable.
5. Demonstrable understanding of cultural diversity and cross-cultural research.
6. Strong reporting skills and experience in writing reports/papers.
7. Experience of using MS office suite.
8. An understanding of and commitment to the ABC's aims, objectives and workplace values, together with relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity & Diversity and Work Health & Safety.
Copies of the ABC Editorial Policies are available at abc.net.au
Applicants must address the selection criteria. For more information on how to apply visit Application Tips
Recruitment Agency applications will not be accepted.
The ABC is an equal opportunity employer.
The ABC invites Indigenous Australians to apply for this position.
Closing date: 8 Jul 2012