Sydney, New South Wales
ABC News is looking for dynamic and experienced news leaders to join Australia's most respected news service for an exciting new phase in its development.
There are a number of senior opportunities for candidates with the right mix of demonstrated editorial leadership, commitment to the highest standards of journalism and an understanding of changing audience needs on a range of platforms.
ABC News draws on the expertise and content produced by hundreds of ABC journalists from eight state and territory newsrooms, 60 local regional newsrooms and 12 international bureaux, producing a wide range of content and programming across radio, television and digital platforms.
This position will lead ABC newsgathering operations in Australia and overseas, drive the editorial agenda, and gather content for all programs and outlets for local, state, national and international audiences.
1. Editorial and Strategic Leadership
• Lead a Newsgathering operation committed to the highest standards of journalism and ensure that all coverage reflects the principles of independence, integrity, responsibility and accuracy.
• Set the editorial agenda for news coverage by overseeing the news planning and network desk operations and lead the daily news editorial discussions with a focus on original, independent and audience-focused coverage.
• Deliver a coordinated and collaborative approach to news gathering for all platforms and programs by working closely with the Head News Content and Head Current Affairs and managing the network desk, planning operations, State Editors, and the International team.
• Oversee the development of long and short term coverage strategies and direct the daily editorial process in collaboration with Head News Content.
• Determine effective resource allocation to provide cross-platform coverage of the highest standard. With News Executive team and State Editors, deploy resources and staff according to editorial priorities.
• Lead regular reviews with news team to evaluate newsgathering, planning, allocation and strategy. Encourage open and accountable discussion to review performance and implement improvements.
• Further build an innovative newsgathering culture and seek new ways to find and tell stories for audiences, and build ABC audiences across platforms.
• Develop strategies and solutions to gather news in a multiplatform environment, including exploring new technology and emerging platforms.
2. Leadership, Management of People & Resources
• Foster a culture of original and specialist journalism which has a focus on audiences and their evolving needs.
• Provide direction and leadership to staff to achieve high standards of news gathering through regular editorial discussions, the provision of advice, and effective performance management for direct reports. Build a capable, motivated and skilled workforce.
• Oversee management of associated operational resources and budgets.
• Actively model and promote the ABC Values and apply all relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity & Diversity and Work Health & Safety.
3. Stakeholder Management
• Work closely with the Head News Content and key program teams to ensure news coverage is aligned with output needs and priorities
• Build and maintain strong, constructive relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including participation in ABC cross-divisional projects and cross platform content initiatives.
4. Membership of Divisional Executive
As a member of the Divisional Executive:
• Demonstrate initiative in contributing to the development of strategy and policy for News.
• Contribute to maintaining safety and high standards of risk assessment and management in News.
• Contribute to the planning, governance and reporting for the Division.
• Undertake special projects and assignments as required by the Director News.
1. Extensive experience in editorial leadership and proven track record at a senior level in radio, television and online news gathering and production. Experience in managing news operations internationally, desirable.
2. High-level leadership, negotiation, planning and communication skills.
3. Demonstrated senior management experience in developing strategies to provide an innovative and unique news service, accessible to audiences on a range of platforms.
4. Demonstrated experience in leading significant newsgathering resources to execute editorial strategy.
5. Extensive experience in management of staff, budgets and resources.
6. Demonstrated strong personal drive and proven experience to lead large scale change in a media environment.
7. Extensive experience in developing strategic networks and relationships at a senior level within the media industry.
8. An understanding of, and commitment to, the ABC's aims, objectives and workplace values, together with relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity and Diversity and Work Health & Safety.jects and assignments as required by the Director News.
The ABC is an equal opportunity employer.
The ABC invites Indigenous Australians to apply for this position.
19 Aug 2012 11:55pm Aus. Eastern Standard Time
This job is now expired.