Head News Content
Sydney, New South Wales
ABC News is looking for dynamic and experienced news leaders to join Australia's most respected news service for an exciting new phase in its development.
There are a number of senior opportunities for candidates with the right mix of demonstrated editorial leadership, commitment to the highest standards of journalism and an understanding of changing audience needs on a range of platforms.
ABC News draws on the expertise and content produced by hundreds of ABC journalists from eight state and territory newsrooms, 60 local regional newsrooms and 12 international bureaux, producing a wide range of content and programming across radio, television and digital platforms.
In this position you will lead the delivery of innovative multi-platform content across ABC News in response to audience needs, and implement an effective framework to improve performance in all content areas.
1. Editorial and Strategic Leadership
• Lead the content strategy for News and ensure all output reflects the highest standards of journalism and the principles of independence, integrity, responsibility and accuracy. Deliver the editorial agenda across all platforms and programs by working closely with the Head Newsgathering and Head Current Affairs.
• Oversee management of ABC News 24, the Asia Pacific News Centre, News Online and all scheduled daily news programs across radio and television.
• Liaise with State News Editors on the standards, requirements and output of state-based radio and television news content.
• Develop and maintain a performance framework to continuously improve the quality of ABC News content and lead the process for monitoring, review and reporting.
• Co-ordinate cross platform story development and promotion and maximise audience access and engagement with news content.
• Develop strategies and innovative solutions to deliver news content in a multiplatform environment to further build ABC audiences, including developing and implementing a digital strategy and exploring new technology and emerging platforms.
2. Leadership, Management of People and Resources
• Foster a culture of original and specialist journalism which has a focus on audiences and their evolving needs.
• Provide direction and leadership to staff to achieve high standards of news programming through regular editorial discussions, the provision of advice, and effective performance management for direct reports. Build a capable, motivated and skilled workforce.
• Oversee management of associated operational resources and budgets.
• Actively model and promote the ABC Values and apply all relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity & Diversity and Work Health & Safety.
3. Stakeholder Management
• Build and maintain strong, constructive relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including participation in ABC cross-divisional projects and cross platform content initiatives.
4. Membership of Divisional Executive
As a member of the Divisional team:
• Demonstrate initiative in contributing to the development of strategy and policy for News.
• Contribute to maintaining safety and high standards of risk assessment and management in News.
• Contribute to the planning, governance and reporting for the Division.
• Undertake special projects and assignments as required by the Director News.
1. Extensive experience in editorial leadership and proven track record at a senior level in radio, television and online news reporting, production and programming.
2. High-level leadership, negotiation, planning and communication skills.
3. Demonstrated senior management experience in developing strategies to provide innovative and unique news content , accessible to audiences on a range of platforms. Ability to build audiences and brands.
4. Senior experience in managing multiple stakeholders in order to deliver editorial strategy and excellence in programming.
5. Extensive experience in management of staff, budgets and resources.
6. Demonstrated strong personal drive and proven ability to lead large scale change in a media environment.
7. Demonstrated understanding of new media and digital broadcasting technologies.
8. Extensive experience in developing networks and relationships at a senior level within the News industry.
9. An understanding of, and commitment to, the ABC's aims, objectives and workplace values, together with relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity and Diversity and Work Health & Safety.
The ABC is an equal opportunity employer.
The ABC invites Indigenous Australians to apply for this position.
19 Aug 2012 11:55pm Aus. Eastern Standard Time
This job is now expired.