Editor, Asia-Pacific, Mr & Mrs Smith (Melbourne-based)
Do you have razor-sharp editing skills, a witty, inspiring writing style, a bulging contacts book and an encyclopaedic travel knowledge? Do you know your Amans from your Anantaras, Colombo from Colombia, and understand what makes a good boutique hotel tick? And are you as happy blogging and tweeting as creating pithy, super-readable website copy that will appeal to Smith’s savvy travel addicts?
Mr & Mrs Smith ([..]), the world’s leading boutique hotel collection, is looking for a new Editor for its Asia-Pacific office, based in Melbourne, starting in early 2013 (salary on application). We offer a personal and online booking service, in-depth hotel and destination guides, and operate a unique, three-tiered membership club, offering benefits with stylish partner brands. We will also soon be launching child-friendly new site Smith & Family.
The Editor (Asia-Pacific) will handle all editorial content in the regional office, requiring a multi-tasking mix of writing, commissioning and subbing editorial and marketing copy, both for Smith’s own websites and for syndicated press. Working together with our UK and New York offices, for now you’ll be a team of one with no direct reports, but will have a budget to manage freelance writers and interns. While regular opportunities for travel are limited, the occasional juicy hotel-hunting trip may come your way.
Key areas of focus:
• Writing and editing monthly new hotel and destination content to deadline
• Creating and editing direct and general marketing content, including three key monthly ecommunications to Smith members
• Commissioning freelance writers, editors and reviewers
• Managing all existing content updates on Smith’s websites
• Editing tastemaker reviews for online
• Generating one-off and syndicated press features for media partners, including Reuters, Nine MSN, YOLO, Pugnacious George and Sassy Hong Kong
• Being active on the social media front, with regular blog posts, Tweets and Facebook alerts
• Minimum five years senior editing or sub-editing experience in both print and online
• Strong writing skills and portfolio
• Top-notch travel knowledge, including personal experience
• Proficient in basic HTML and online content management and layout programs such as WordPress, InDesign and Dreamweaver, and the ability to adapt quickly to new technology
• Proven SEO experience
• Professional and personal engagement with social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, and ideally blogging. Experience of Pinterest, Google+ and Instagram a bonus.
Deadline for applications is Monday 22 October 2012. To apply, please submit your resumé and a cover letter to the attention of Sophie Davies at [..], along with published samples of your writing that most closely capture Smith’s editorial tone.
This job is now expired.